People let's not get this one twisted, there is a fine line between your diary and your Facebook, twitter or whatever the platform. But unfortunately some of us just don't know how to differentiate. And the thing is what's private today does not necessarily mean it will be tomorrow.
This brings me to the topic of the day: Things not to put on social media as a PR and Communication student. I know you've been taught about the corporate side of social media, but please allow me to take you to class based on your personal social media platform(s)
1. Some things you just cannot joke about.
- We all have... well at least many of us, have our own sense of humour but unfortunately some jokes are just not funny. Posting jokes that can cause controversy can cost you your reputation as a PRP. Jokes like what? You probably wondering, racist jokes for instance, sexually offensive jokes... get the picture? It may sound "funny" or "dope" but unfortunately your career does not depend on your Facebook, YouTube, or Twitter friends.
2. Never play the silent treatment.
- Always handle whatever negative commotion you have caused on social media. Being silent will do you more harm than good
- Re-tweeting, liking, sharing, tagging, etc. You are believed to be an advocate of whatever you share on social media. Not that I'm saying don't re-tweet or anything like that, just be cautious of what you "like", share, or what you are tagged in.
- If you don't walk around in public naked, why post your naked pictures on social media? Here's a quick guide, "if you wouldn't want your Mama to see it, don't put it up". You are your own brand and need to protect it by all means possible.
- Unless it's something important, but you raving about where you were this weekend, or how many times you went to the loo does not cut you any slack simply because nobody cares... You not Kim Kardashian so stop acting like one. but like i said unless it's imperative that you do it then do it.
23 comments:
Thank you for the wonderful caution regarding to how we ruin our identity on social media. We are delinquently being more diplomatic about things that will be a barrier to us, when we get to the corporate world. And also as an individual I am now pushed to ensure that I respect and value my dignity when it comes to social media.
It can only be a relief when some of us still understand the predicaments of bad communication on social media. #respect_and_value_dignity Well said Miss Tumi
Nazo Nthesh. We need to go back to basics and laying down a foundation upon principles that will stabilize sound character. These syndrome of 'do as you please' Is perpetually destroying the character of African Sons and Daughters. And now The Q is, what Principles are we going to pass to the next generation if we our selves are still subject to uncontrolled behavior esp the ones we witness in Social media.
Yah neh you said a mouthful wena Princess :D :D
We forgetting the professional side of things.
Yeah.. I think understanding the basics is a thoughtfull thing.......
Basics allow us understand greater principles
Thank you Mr Mashabela the world needs such future leaders that will help teach the #basic_principles
I agree with you Prince. You also get that people are often perturbed by their own lifestyles, then they propagandize it on social media. Oblivious to the fact that they are demolishing their valuable foundation.
That's the pervasive power of social media right there. But at the end of the day the one's to be tormented because of such acts will be the propargators
I second that...
People are lost in the middle of networks without knowing their essential fundamentals....
I wish i could get someone with a different idea since we are all agreeing on the same thing. Just a little bit of contrast nyana nje.
There are different social media platforms for different content man. Imagine if we all posted bible scriptures,ahh.. Not all of us care how the world view us as youth,we just living life. And,if it's not illegal to post what's on my mind on Facebook for example why must I be afraid to express myself.. You have your own values and principles Ntesh,we have ours..
It's a free country after all... That's how you view it. My main argument here is your reputation, and exactly what you said, that's how many get it all wrong and lost.
@pontsho maphanga dats crzy dats hw u lid ppl astray. u wont gt a job wena. stop foolng abanye.
I disagree with the last comment from anonymous. I think what she was trying to say is the fact that its different strokes for different folks not misleading per se. Do what suits you, its your reputation after all.
My people like i said lets not get it twisted. There is no grand theory to this... All there is to this blog is an alert. That's it.
There is no grand theory. We come together to share our views and substantiate. There is no right or wrong. Even if there is, it does not apply to all.
Hai ke,as for abo anonymous I dont know. I respect your views everyone,please respect ours! As for you Precious,what is it that you stand for? You sound like you in between the line!
@Pontsho What I stand for is sound communication in our social media platforms, sound communication that will not jeopardise your reputation especially towards your career. We have to be oblivious of the aftermath of social media. No naked Pictures. No vulgar. More beneficial topics. That's where I stand. Hope that answers your question Mr Maphanga
We have become too oblivious of the aftermath... So I meant
Now I need a dictionary to understand your statement,lol... But it's clear what you stand for....
Oh my apologies I was saying we are ignoring the consequences of social media and only focusing on the fun side of it, not looking at the disadvantages.
Post a Comment